Thursday 11 August 2016

Diary moments

This blog isn't the only daily fare that I attend to - I've just completed my latest personal diary, covering the last two years and a bit of my life, from May 2014!

In that period it includes coverage of three genealogy lecture trips to Canada, a genealogy cruise around the Baltic, a genealogy conference in Portugal, the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, the last Scottish independence referendum, four subsequent election campaigns that I've helped to canvass for (three successfully, the other we'll know by Friday!), the EU referendum, five family encounters with two Scottish First Ministers, my son Calum's exams and rugby successes, as well as his award of the President's Badge in the Boys Brigade, my other son's Lego obsession and his last day at primary school, various trips to Ireland and family visits from Ireland, my wife's trips to St. Lucia and the United States, a range of family trips around Scotland, finally getting around to travelling on the Waverley, getting lifted up on the Falkirk Wheel and an ascent of the Wallace Monument, publication of four new genie books, a campaign that I've been involved with to save a local landmark from a forestry development, two expensive Christmases, fifteen published letters in the local paper, and still no lottery win.

The unwritten first rule of family history research - don't forget to record your own life! 

A diary takes just 5 minutes to add to each day. Fill it with anecdotes, pack it with pictures, stuff it with news; don't be the only box on your family tree without a story!

Chris

For details on my genealogy guide books, including A Decade of Irish Centenaries: Researching Ireland 1912-1923Discover Scottish Church Records (2nd edition), Discover Irish Land Records and Down and Out in Scotland: Researching Ancestral Crisis, please visit http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-books.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment